Later than it should have been (sorry, organizers!), but here’s my questionnaire for the Secret Pal 11 knitting swaparoo:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love natural fabrics, and have been exploring tencel and bamboo, which feel great. I like small guages for stuff I’ll wear myself, but enjoy knitting with chunkier stuff too. I like the colour and texture variations in natural yarns, so I’m not big on acrylics, but some can be fun. (Not a complete yarn snob!)
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Chaos, drawers, bags, my hair…
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Learned as a child, gave up for a while, got back into it big time about five years ago, right before my first child was born, surprise, surprise. I’m probably intermediate, but unafraid of complexity.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What’s your favorite scent?
Roses, lavendar, coffee, baking bread, clean laundry
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Super-sweet, but trying not to be. Really good chocolate is worth breaking the diet for, though.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
No spinning (yet) but I do like to dye yarn. I also like paper (not a scrapbooker though) and play with that a bit. I like all crafty stuff but am a bit promiscuous.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
MP3s are good. I love jazz standards, classical, good pop and rock (you know, anything that makes you want to dance in your seat). Always looking to get exposed to the best examples of any genre.
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?
Not a fan of pastels. I like strong colours. I wear a lot of red (think red wine)
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Two small boys (4, 2) and one large one. No pets. No smoking, no pot-pourri…
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
All of the above, although I’m easing up on the ponchos. Have always, and will always love and use shawls though.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Baby clothes, mittens, hats, things that don’t take years to finish, although I do embark on cardigans and sweaters occasionally.
13. What are you knitting right now?
Socks, a black cardigan for me, hats (gifts).
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Bamboo and plastic are generally better for me. I like long straights that I can tuck under my arm (I’m a “pit knitter”!) but I also love circulars.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Depends whether you count the ones lurking in closets in my mother’s house. Here? A couple of years.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas, I suppose.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
I have a partiality for dragons…
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Subscribe to Vogue Knitting, but considering adding Interweave Knits.
I don’t have the Yarn Harlot’s latest, and I’m starting to think I ought to ‘discover’ Elizabeth Zimmerman one of these days.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
Continental knitting. I’ve figured out the knit stitch but can’t imagine how to do the purl.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes. And my feet are, er, about 9 1/2″. I’m a US 9 or 9.5, a Euro 40 (or was before I had kids), a UK 7.5 or so.
23. When is your birthday?
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what’s your ID?
I’m in the queue. A mere 3923 people are ahead of me… UPDATED: OCT 2007: I’m SO on Ravelry. I’m jknistmith (check that typo) and moderate the Knit For Boys group.